Wednesday, March 14, 2007


Ten Tech Trends for Librarians 2007




Michael Stevens says...

I wanted this post to be out on the day I spoke at the Ontario Library Association with Amanda Etches-Johnson and John Blyberg at the OLITA Top Tech Trends panel, but my dissertation, teaching and life intervene. Each year about this time, TTW looks at "Ten Techie Things for Librarians." You'll find 2006 and 2005 in the archives. So here's this year's list, with a new name: "Trends" instead of "Things." Sure it puts a finer point on it but it also recognizes the changes in my thinking about the essential duties of librarians:


Learn to Learn
Adapt to Change
Scan the Horizon


As we carry out or essential mission of service, stewardship and access, I really want folks in libraries to be able to watch the horizon for trends -- and I told the group that in Toronto: "We can all be trendspotters. We can all watch for trends that impact not only the profession but our specfic communities and user groups." Please ponder these and let me know what you think.



(SLS NOTE: The above entry was taken from Michael's blog. The things on Michael's list include conversations, convergence, content, redefining LIS jobs, citizen journalism, 'we're human', openess & sharing, participation and experience. To read more in depth about these-go to http://tametheweb.com/)